College Program for Year 10
We invite you to consider opportunities for extension and acceleration for your Year 10 student. The College Program for Year 10 students has two levels:
- Magellan@College, and
Magellan@College offers Year 10 students the opportunity to join the college full-time and participate in Year 10 extension classes and a range of college classes.
In addition to Year 10 Maths Extension course at the college, students will be able to choose from a range of classes allowing more in-depth study in the course area:
- SOSE – Pre Modern History, Modern History, Ancient History, Business, Psychology, Legal Studies, Philosophy and Sociology
- Science – Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Earth and Environmental Science, Horticulture, Flight and Exercise Science
- Additional options exist in Arts/Tech/PE/Languages – Photography, Media (VET), IT CISCO, IT gaming, IT web design, Sport and Recreation, Chinese
- Performing Arts - Dance, Drama and Music
In areas of strength, students may complete a Year 11 T or A unit. Completion of any college unit will contribute toward the ACT Senior Secondary Certificate. Completion of a T unit may contribute toward the award of an ATAR.
All students participating in Magellan@College will still receive a Year 10 Certificate and MYP Certificate if applicable..
For enrolments in 2021 Magellan@College - Information and Application 2021,and please contact the college.
The Headstart program allows MCSS Year 10 students to participate in one or more college classes while continuing to study their standard Year 10 Certificate. A range of courses are available each year for students to supplement their existing Year 10 package.
Both programs allow students to:
- increase the depth of their program
- increase motivation for their Year 10 studies
- open further pathways to employment by commencing work towards their Senior Secondary Certificate earlier
- complete vocational competencies by undertaking VET courses not available to them at the high school campus
- complete courses not available at high school
- try a course to see if they wish to study it further when they start Year 11
- learn more about and prepare for ANU Secondary College