Student Leadership Group
The Melba Copland Secondary School Student Leadership Program offers unique opportunities for students to become further involved in both school community and local community. It is a great way to form new friendships and build excellent leadership and representational roles. The Leadership program has a long history in developing student representatives and leaders through various engaging activities both in and out of school.
Students who join the program are given unique opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities that may otherwise not be available. A broad network of connection to charity & community organisations as well as national conferences (such as Rotary's Model United Nations Conference) becomes easily accessible when joining the program.
The experience of this student group does not only look excellent on a Resume and give you the real life skills, but it also counts towards your Senior Secondary Certificate (giving you extra points towards your Tertiary or Accredited package).
The six Core Values of the Melba Copland Secondary School Leadership Program
- School Representation - Representation to both external & internal groups. E.g. attending youth summits and other conferences, school board meetings (internal).
- School Initiatives - Making the school a better place. E.g. campaigning for a larger student common area or contributing to cultural, sexual and nondiscriminatory initiatives.
- Community Service - Volunteer work within both school and the local Canberra community; aiming to help our society a better place. E.g. clean up Australia day.
- Peer Support & Advocacy - Supporting all of your peers when possible whoever they are. E.g. helping new students integrate better into college
- Public Speaking - Making use of opportunities to further develop public speaking skills. E.g. MC for assembly.
- Fundraising - Raising money for charity organisations or school initiatives. E.g. homeless sleep out night.
Representatives of the school (including our school captains) attend numerous events throughout the year including:
- Student Congress
- National day of Action against Bullying and Violence.
- Leadership forums
- Next generation - Mental Health & Wellbeing of Young People